You could be classed as a trader if you sell goods or services. If you are trading, you are self-employed.

You are likely to be trading if you:

  • Sell regularly to make a profit
  • Make items to sell for profit
  • Sell items on a regular basis, either online, at car boot sales or through classified adverts
  • Earn commission from selling goods for other people
  • Are paid for a service you provide

If you are self-employed, you may need to set up as a sole trader and for this we are here to help you.

Use form SA1 if you need to register but you are not self-employed, depends on your circumstances. For example, if you:

  • Become a company director
  • Receive income from land and property in the UK
  • Have taxable foreign income of more than £300 a year
  • Teceive yearly income from a trust or settlement
  • Sell shares, property or other assets liable to Capital Gains
  • Have yearly income over £100,000
  • Get untaxed income that can’t be collected through your PAYE tax code
  • Have income over £50,000 and you or your partner carry on receiving Child Benefit payments
  • Have Capital Gains Tax to pay